- We mostly buy Gold jewellery on special occasions. So, it is important to check Hallmark before buying Gold jewellery to ensure that it is of promised purity.
- Hallmarking of Gold Jewellery provides third party assurance to consumers on the purity of gold jewellery or its fineness. Under the Hallmarking scheme, the jewellers are granted certificate of registration to sell Hallmarked jewellery and Assaying & Hallmarking (A&H) centres are recognized to assay the purity of the jewellery submitted by the registered jeweller along with declaration of purity
and apply Hallmark on such jewellery which is found conforming to relevant Indian Standard including declared fineness.
- The Government has made it mandatory to sell Hallmarked jewellery in 256 districts of the country having at least one Assaying and Hallmarking centre. A list of these 256 districts is available at https://bis.gov.in/wpcontent/uploads/2021/06/qc-order-June-2021-2.pdf. The Hallmarking scheme has become a success with close to two crore of jewellery pieces being Hallmarked in a very short time. More than one lakh jewellers are already registered and more than three lakh lakh pieces of jewellery are getting hallmarked each day now.
- Hallmark consists of 3 symbols which give you some information. In this, the first symbol is BIS logo, second symbol indicates purity and fineness and the third symbol is the HUID. Before buying any piece of gold jewellery you have to see all these 3 symbols.
- In this blog we will explain what is HUID, what is the purpose of HUID and how the consumer benefits from it. So make sure you read every point very carefully because it will help you avoid being cheated.
- Hallmark Unique Identification (HUID) number is a six digit Alphanumeric code consisting of numbers and letters. HUID will be given to every piece of jewellery at the time of hallmarking and it is unique for every piece of jewellery. The jewellery is stamped with the unique number manually at the Assaying & Hallmarking centre.
- Purpose of HUID:
(i) HUID gives distinct identity to each piece of jewellery enabling traceability. It is critical to the credibility of Hallmarking and addressing complaints regarding purity of Hallmarked jewellery. It has been welcomed by the consumer groups.
(ii) In HUID based Hallmarking, registration of jewellers is automatic with no human interference. It is aimed at ensuring the purity of Hallmarked jewellery and check any malpractice. HUID is a secure system and poses no risk to data privacy or security.
- How the Consumer benefits from Hallmark HUID?
HUID-based Hallmarking is a win-win for everyone. It brings about transparency, ensures consumers’ rights and obviates the chances of Inspector Raj. Anyone can get existing jewellery Hallmarked and get true valuation of Gold.